Environmental Policy Statement
The Northbrook Public Library believes that the natural environment is a key asset to our community, now and for future generations. We are committed to minimizing adverse effects of library activities on the environment, and to leading the community in sustainable practices.
The library will implement practices that promote the health of employees, patrons, and the environment. To support this goal the library will do the following:
- Operations. We will integrate environmental considerations into the operating the library, including procurement of office, cleaning, and catering supplies. We will prefer vendors and products that offer non-toxic, recycled, and recyclable content.
- Facilities. We will use natural resources, including electricity, gas, and water, as efficiently as possible. We will aim to reduce our usage of water and energy. We will upgrade to more efficient water and energy systems where feasible as technology advances.
- Waste. We will minimize waste by choosing recycled and recyclable products, and products with minimal packaging, wherever possible, and by promoting recycling in the library among staff, patrons, and suppliers.
- Education. We will communicate our commitment to environmental quality to our staff, vendors, and patrons. We will encourage employee participation in environmentally sensitive practices, and support innovative strategies to reduce the library’s footprint.
- Continuous improvement. We will seek opportunities to improve our environmental performance.
Board approved 4/12/2012