The Northbrook Public Library is seeking an innovative, tech savvy, customer service oriented, creative and well organized manager with a passion for libraries and good sense of humor for our Youth Services Department. If they also like chocolate and long walks on the beach, that is an added bonus.
The successful candidate will not only serve as a leader for the department, but will also have the skills necessary to assist staff in reaching their full potential and letting them shine.
In addition, the successful candidate must possess the following characteristics:
- Ability to provide exemplary customer service and ensure that departmental staff provide the same high level of service
- Strong knowledge of children's and YA lit
- Knowledge of child and teen development
- Comprehensive knowledge of current Library philosophy, objectives and practices
- Strong background in working with children and teens
- Ability to work in an efficient and organized manner
- Strong technology skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in a timely and concise manner
- Calm demeanor and ability to handle issues as they arise with poise and confidence
- Capability to look at the micro and macro picture to ensure that the needs of all segments of the population are being met
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Supervising, training, and evaluating five full-time and eight part-time staff
- Overseeing collection development for over 130,000 print and digital resources including a special Autism collection
- Coordinating all Youth Services procedures, programs, and services
- Acting as an integral part of the management team to help the Northbrook Library achieve our short and long term goals
- Presenting and implementing ideas that benefit the department and the Library
- Participating in programming
- Working on the information desk to provide reference and reader's advisory assistance
- Participating in community, internal, and library community outreach and networking
This position reports to the Assistant Director and is responsible for working collaboratively with staff, the management team and administration to provide exemplary materials and services to the residents of Northbrook.