Are you looking for ways to use your graphic design skills to impact people’s lives in a positive way? Join the Northbrook Public Library’s marketing and graphics team and play a vital role in communicating the library’s mission and value to the community.
The Graphic Design Assistant reports to our Marketing and Communications Supervisor and works closely with our full-time Graphic Designer to produce flyers, signage, posters, content for social media, and more. You will work from existing designs but also have opportunities to create your own designs that reflect the library’s brand.
Our ideal candidate will be passionate about design, have experience creating design that meets client needs, and be willing to work on a variety of projects with a variety of deadlines.Apply now
Applicants must possess the ability to perform various circulation functions in a friendly and professional manner to a diverse patron base:
- Check in/out books and materials.
- Interact with patrons concerning circulation of materials, issuance of library cards, collecting fines/fees, etc.
- Open and close the library during an assigned shift.
- Answer incoming telephone calls providing routine information, transferring calls and taking messages.
- Prepare basic circulation reports as pertains to daily work.
- Sort returned books in alphabetical and numerical order on carts.
- Use various technologies to complete work.
Interact with outside agencies including other local libraries.
Direct patron inquiries.
Inspect and redirect materials for cleaning, repair, withdrawal, reordering.
Inspect books for damage and handle appropriately.
Perform other library related activities as required.
Do you have a love for the latest technology and for making/DIY – be it no, low, or high tech? Do you have experience with laser cutting, CNC machines, embroidery and sewing machines, and digital editing tools? Join our Digital Services Department. Digital Services Assistants offer guidance to users at all levels and ages across a variety of maker/DIY topics using makerspace equipment, and contribute to a welcoming, synergetic environment in our new makerspace, the Collaboratory.
Key Functions of this Position:
- Help patrons individually with a variety of technologies including software, digital media tools, 3D modeling/printing and scanning, CNC machines, machine sewing and embroidery, laser cutting, and similar maker programs and equipment.
- Assist in technology and maker sessions for patrons.
- Perform basic operation and troubleshooting for makerspace equipment, computers, and peripherals as necessary.
- Staff the public desk in the Collaboratory.