We're so glad you're here! If you have any questions, please visit, call us at 847-272-6224, or contact us online.
We are open 7 days a week. See our scheduled closures.
- Monday - Thursday: 9:00am-9:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am-6:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am-5:00pm
- Sunday: 1:00-5:00pm
Get a library card
We can't wait to give you a library card. Start here to learn how to apply, visit our Welcome desk in the lobby, or call us at 847-272-6224.
Check out materials
You can use our self-checkout machines to check out your materials with your library card (or your digital library card, available on our library app). If you need any assistance, we'll be happy to help. See how easy it is to use a self-checkout machine to quickly check out a stack of items.
Use the Collaboratory
The Collaboratory is our makerspace, located on the 2nd floor. Please visit the Collaboratory web page for open hours and information on using the Collaboratory.
Reserve a study room
We have 18 study rooms on the 2nd floor that can be reserved for up to two hours per day with a library card in good standing. You can reserve a study room online, use our library app, or use one of the reservation kiosks available at the Reference and Youth Services desks. Study rooms can be reserved up to a week in advance.
Reserve a meeting room
You can reserve a meeting room online with a Northbrook Library card. Meeting rooms can be reserved up to two months in advance.
Use a Computer
You can use a computer on the 2nd floor on a walk-in basis for 60 minutes with two 30-minute extensions, if no one is waiting. A library card is not required to use a computer. You can also reserve a computer up to one week in advance. To schedule an appointment, call 847-272-4873 or email email@example.com during our open hours.
Pick up your holds
Holds provide a quick and easy way to get library materials. You can place holds on library materials, including books, movies, video games, Roku sticks, mobile hotspots, and more. When you are notified your hold items are ready, you can pick them up from the Holds shelves in the west lobby and check them out using the Self-Checkout machines. Learn more.
Use our printing & 3D printing services
You can use our print/copy/fax machine on the 2nd floor in the Reference dept. Or, you can request a print for pickup:
- Send us your file. You can upload or email us a file ahead of time and then come into the library within 2 hours and print it yourself using the library's printers during our open hours. After 24 hours, print orders automatically cancel and disappear from the queue.
Send us a file to print on the 3D printer:
- Email us a file to 3D print and when it's ready, we'll let you know how to pick it up.
Use our online resources (eBooks, eAudiobooks, Movies, etc.)
Access eBooks, audiobooks, movies, and more with your library card.
Attend a program
Request home delivery & use our accessibility services
Our Home Delivery Service offers delivery of library materials to Northbrook residents with a valid Northbrook Public Library card who are confined to their residence either temporarily or permanently due to age, disability, illness, or other mobility issues. Learn more about our accessibility services.
What you can do at the library
- Browse and check out materials—search our online catalog
- Get a library card or renew an existing card in the lobby
- Use a computer (no reservation necessary)
- Use the printer/copier/fax on the 2nd floor
- Use our Self-Service Holds shelves in the lobby to pick up and check out your holds
- Use the Collaboratory on the 2nd floor
- Use the Peltz Digitization Room by appointment to digitize your old media. Schedule an appointment.
- Use the Digital Media Lab by appointment to record or edit a movie or audio. Schedule an appointment.
- Reserve a meeting room with your Northbrook Library card
- Reserve one of our study rooms on the 2nd floor for up to 2 hours a day with a valid library card.
- Use the Quiet Study Room on the 2nd floor for silent reading or study
- Visit the Friends' Bookshop in the lobby to purchase used books or donate books in the vestibule near our west entrance
- Recycle common household items
Other ways to engage with the library
If you are interested in something you don't see on this list, please call us at 847-272-6224.
- Use our Self-Service Holds shelves to pick up library materials you've placed holds on. If you do not want to enter the building, please call 847-272-6224.
- Request our Home Delivery Service. Learn more about our accessibility services.
- Access our digital resources, including eResources and eBooks.
- Attend any of our virtual programs.
- Learn other ways to use the library at home