The Collaboratory is the library’s makerspace, located on the 2nd floor. Currently, use of the Collaboratory and digitization equipment is limited to Northbrook Library cardholders.
Collaboratory appointments are 90-minutes, with limited equipment: laser cutter, Cricut, embroidery machine, sewing machine (requires previous sewing machine experience). Appointments can be made below. Appointments are held during our open hours:
Friday & Saturday 10am-2pm
Digitization appointments are 3 hours and may be scheduled beginning March 2nd; the earliest appointment is March 16th. Click here to learn more and to schedule a digitization appointment. The Digital Media Lab is not available at this time.
We can be reached at 847-272-2098:
Appointments for the Collaboratory are for 90 minutes and occur at set times each day the Collaboratory is open:
Tuesday-Thursday: 12pm, 2pm, 4pm
Friday & Saturday: 10am, 12pm
Appointments can be made up to 2 weeks in advance, and must be made at least 24 hours in advance. We do not make same-day appointments.
Click here to schedule your appointment, or call the Collaboratory at 847-272-2098. Please note: we do not accept appointment requests via voicemail or email.
- Limit of 1 appointment per day per person, and 2 appointments per week
- Up to 2 people per appointment, including any children. The second person must be a permanent resident of your household.
- Limit of 2 projects per appointment
- You must be 11 or older to use the Collaboratory without an adult; 14 or older if you’re monitoring children under 11
- Appointments start and end on time, even if your project is not completed
- We are unable to offer one-on-one sewing appointments
- Use of the sewing machine requires previous experience
- Masks must be worn at all times by those 2 years of age and older
What to Know about Your Appointment
- If staff have concerns or questions about your appointment, you will be contacted via phone or email prior to your appointment.
- Arrive on time to the Collaboratory and wait at the main Collaboratory door; staff will let you in at your appointment time. We are unable to allow you in early.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, please call us at 847-272-2098 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP
- Only you and the second person listed in your appointment will be allowed in during your appointment. If you need to change the second person accompanying you, please let us know.
- There is no eating or drinking during your appointment; you must wear your mask at all times.
- You may only leave the Collaboratory and return in order to use the library bathrooms.
- Please maintain 6 feet of distance between yourself and staff.
Equipment & Tools
Limited equipment is available for use during your appointment:
- Laser cutter
- Cricut Maker
- Embroidery machine
- Sewing machine
Bringing your own materials is always free; staff must approve them first. If you have materials that typically come with Safety Data Sheet/Material Safety Data Sheet (SDS/MSDS), bring the sheet with you.
View our price list. If you use our materials we add those costs to your library card as a fee. Materials fees must be paid at our library. The card owner must be present to purchase materials.
Please note: We are not accepting cash at this time. You can pay any fees online through the Account feature on our website.
3D Printing Options
We will accept 3D print requests from Northbrook Library card holders and from non-Northbrook card holders who have a valid library card registered in our library system.
Your file must be sent in via email to email@example.com. You may only have one file in the print queue at any time; only email us one file.
Print jobs are added to the same queue and handled by staff. Wait times will vary and we do not print on demand.
Visit our 3D printing page for more details.