CLOSED Sundays & Mondays
We are typically closed the third Wednesday of the month from 2pm-4pm for a department meeting. Our next closing will be:
- January 16
The Collaboratory is the library’s makerspace, located on the 2nd floor.
A makerspace is a collaborative place that encourages exploration, creativity, design, and building, using a variety of media, tools, technology, and objects. In the Collaboratory, you’ll have access to an array of equipment, tools, knowledge, and support—whether you lean high-tech, low-tech, or no-tech—along with helpful staff.
Come here to build your dream project, collaborate on projects with others, learn how to make new things, and work with some amazing new tools.
Questions? Reach the Digital Services staff at 847-272-2098 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our space is free and open to everyone. There is no cost to use the equipment.
Use of equipment is first come, first served.
You must be in the Collaboratory and monitoring your project from start to finish. This includes the time your project is being cut or etched on the equipment.
Please plan to spend plenty of time in the space, at least an hour per project per person. Due to high volume, wait times may be several hours during the summer, school vacations, and holidays.
If there is a waitlist for equipment, the number of projects per person may be limited or staggered.
You must be 11 years of age or older to be in the Collaboratory alone. Vulnerable adults and those younger than 11 must be accompanied and monitored at all times by a parent or other responsible caregiver who is 14 years of age or older.
Closed Sundays & Mondays
We ask that patrons be respectful of others, and take care of the space as if it were their own.
We schedule tours for non-profit groups like Scouts at least 2 months in advance. Email us at email@example.com for more information.
Projects & Possibilities
You can learn to sew, crochet, 3D print a replacement for a broken part, laser cut a plaque, edit your movie, convert your vinyl to digital, make a book, and so much more. While we're not a full woodworking shop, we have many tools to build small to midsize projects and prototypes.
If you need help, we have knowledgeable staff to offer guidance and help you learn to use the equipment. Stop by during open hours.
Have a sewing project you need help with? Fill out our Sewing Help form and we'll contact you to set up an appointment.
Equipment, Tools & Kits
We offer a variety of equipment: a laser cutter, CNC machine, 3D printers, embroidery machine, digital media recording/editing equipment, and more. Staff will facilitate your use of the equipment and tools. View our full list of equipment, tools, and kits.
Materials Price List
Bringing your own materials is always free; staff just have to approve them first. If you have materials that typically come with Safety Data Sheet/Material Safety Data Sheet (SDS/MSDS), bring the sheet with you if possible.
If you use our materials we add those costs to your library card as a fee. Fees can be paid at the check out desk on the first floor. The card owner must be present to purchase materials. View our price list.
You can register your library card for free with us as long as your card is in good standing and you have appropriate ID.
Please note, equipment will not be run 30 minutes before we close, to ensure the space can close on time.
3D Printing Options
The opening of the Collaboratory has brought some new changes to 3D printing at the library:
- We charge for prints: As of 11/20/18, printing is $0.06 per gram of filament. We use MakerBot Print software to provide you with an estimated cost that you'll need to agree to pay. Once printed, we weigh your print - including rafts and supports - and use that measurement to give you a final cost. We've found that the final weight is typically less than the estimate. That final cost is added as a fee to your library card. You can pay that fee at the check out desk on the first floor, or pay through your library account online.
- You can email us your print or stop in and place a request: All print jobs are added to the same queue and handled by staff. No matter how you get your print request to us, printing charges still apply and our current wait time is 3-4 weeks. Your prints still need to follow our printing rules.
- Printing is available to non-residents: Anyone can use our 3D printer as long as they have a library card in good standing that is registered with our library.
Peltz Digital Suite
Thanks to a generous bequest from Northbook resident Howard Peltz, the Collaboratory houses the Peltz Digital Suite, a set of two rooms located within the makerspace. The Peltz Digitization Room allows you to convert your old media to digital, while the Peltz Digital Media Lab provides you with the tools to create and edit digital media: spoken word, photos, movies, images, and sound recordings.
You may make a day-of reservation with your library card by calling the Collaboratory at 847-272-2098. Guest passes are used for those without a card.
You must be present to monitor your project at all times. Speak to staff in the Collaboratory when you arrive, and they will sign you into a room.
Peltz Digitization Room
The Digitization Room allows you to turn your old analog media into digital.
- Tobin Telecine for Super 8mm and 8mm film
- Sony dual cassette deck
- Audio Technica AT-LP120BK-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable
- Funai VHS/DVD for use with Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus
- Sony Betamax player for use with Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus
- Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner for photos, film, slides and documents
Prefer to convert your VHS to DVD at home? You can check out a DVD/VCR recorder to take home.
Peltz Digital Media Lab
The Digital Media Lab is an enclosed room with a green screen wall and outfitted with hardware and software designed to help users create and edit digital recordings (audio, movie, images, etc.).
- Photographic lighting
- Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface
- Yeti Blue Pro microphone
- 8 MXL 990 microphones with shockmounts and CAD filters
- Sony MDR-7506 Professional Headphones, 2 pair
- Adobe Creative Cloud (all apps)
- Final Cut Pro
- Garage Band
- Logic Pro IX
- Pro Tools First (free version)