The Collaboratory is the library’s makerspace, located on the 2nd floor.
For your safety and the safety of staff, during the COVID-19 pandemic the Collaboratory is only available to Northbrook Library cardholders, via appointment. The Digitization Room and the Digital Media Lab are not available.
Tuesday & Wednesday: 4:00-8:00pm
Thursday & Friday: 10:00am-4:00pm
Appointments occur at set times each day the Collaboratory is open:
Tuesday & Wednesday at 4pm and 6pm
Thursday & Friday at 10am, 12pm, 2pm
Saturday at 12pm and 2pm
Appointments can be made up to 2 weeks in advance. We do not make day-of appointments.
- Limit of 1 appointment per day per person, and 2 appointments per week
- Up to 2 people per appointment, including any children. The second person must be a permanent resident of your household.
- Limit of 2 projects per appointment
- You must be 11 or older to use the Collaboratory without an adult; 14 or older if you’re monitoring children under 11
- Appointments start and end on time, even if your project is not completed
- We are unable to offer one-on-one sewing appointments
- Use of the sewing machine requires previous experience
- Masks must be worn at all times by those 2 years of age and older
Make an Appointment
Click here to schedule your appointment, or call the Collaboratory at 847-272-2098 during our open hours. Please note: we do not accept appointment requests via voicemail or email.
What to Know about Your Appointment
- If staff have concerns or questions about your appointment, you will be contacted via phone or email prior to your appointment.
- Arrive on time to the Collaboratory and wait at the main Collaboratory door; staff will let you in at your appointment time. We are unable to allow you in early.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, please call us at 847-272-2098 or email us at email@example.com ASAP
- Only you and the second person listed in your appointment will be allowed in during your appointment. If you need to change the second person accompanying you, please let us know.
- There is no eating or drinking during your appointment; you must wear your mask at all times.
- You may only leave the Collaboratory and return to use the library bathrooms.
- Please maintain 6 feet of distance between yourself and staff.
Equipment & Tools
Limited equipment is available for use during your appointment:
- Laser cutter
- Cricut Maker
- Embroidery machine
- Sewing machine
Bringing your own materials is always free; staff must approve them first. If you have materials that typically come with Safety Data Sheet/Material Safety Data Sheet (SDS/MSDS), bring the sheet with you.
View our price list. If you use our materials we add those costs to your library card as a fee. Materials fees must be paid at our library. The card owner must be present to purchase materials.
Please note: We are not accepting cash at this time. You can pay any fees online through the Account feature on our website.
3D Printing Options
We will begin accepting 3D printing requests on July 21st. We will not accept requests before that day. Anyone can submit a 3D print request as long as they have a library card in good standing that is registered with our library.
Your file must be sent in via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may only have one file in the print queue at any time; only email us one file.
Print jobs are added to the same queue and handled by staff. Wait times will vary and we do not print on demand.
Visit our 3D printing page for more details.
Peltz Digital Suite
The Peltz Digitization Suite is not available.
Thanks to a generous bequest from Northbook resident Howard Peltz, the Collaboratory houses the Peltz Digital Suite, a set of two rooms located within the makerspace. The Peltz Digitization Room allows you to convert your old media to digital, while the Peltz Digital Media Lab provides you with the tools to create and edit digital media: spoken word, photos, movies, images, and sound recordings.
You must be present to monitor your project at all times.