Too cold to go outside? No problem. Discover how your library card can become your ticket to entertainment and learning this winter!
- Stream films with Kanopy – Kanopy, an on-demand film streaming service is available for free to Northbrook Public Library patrons. You can sign up here to start streaming films. Kanopy showcases more than 30,000 of the worlds best films, including award-winning documentaries, rare and hard-to-find titles, film festival favorites, indie and classic films, and world cinema with collections from Kino Lorber, Music Box Films, Samuel Goldwyn, The Orchard, The Great Courses, PBS and thousands of independent filmmakers. You have three days to watch each title (up to eight titles per month)! NPL cardholders can borrow up to 8 titles per month. You have 3 days to watch each title as many times as you like.
- Learn a New Language – Access more than 70 languages on Mango Languages, which provides basic and in-depth lessons for English speakers. The app includes ELL instruction for 19 languages. You can track your progress and create a profile when you login.
- Stock up on DVDs, Video Games, Music CDs & Scores – Plan ahead and stock up on DVDs (including Blu-rays), video games, music CDs and even musical scores to keep you occupied while you stay in and hibernate! Enjoy the plethora of choices the library offers; our collection includes more than 17,500 CDs, more than 2,000 video games, and more than 350 vinyl records. See checkout policies.
- Download ebooks and audiobooks – No need to bundle up to go to the library. Just used your library card to download eBooks and audiobooks from home.
- Read Digital magazines – With your library card you have access to nearly 100 magazines with RB Digital and Flipster.
- Check Out a STEAM kit – Grab a STEAM kit from the Collaboratory ahead of time and you can experiment at home. Kits can be checked out for 3 weeks.
- For Kids: There’s plenty of digital books and movies to engage and challenge–in a fun way–children of all ages.
BookFlix (Pre-K through 3rd Grades) pairs video storybooks with nonfiction eBooks.
Tumblebooks are animated talking picture books that teach children the joy of reading. It’s never too early to get them reading!
- Digital Media on hoopla – With your library card, you have access to hoopla, a service that allows you to check out and read, watch, or listen to hundreds of thousands of audiobooks, movies, tv shows, eBooks, comics, and music.
- Play Sheet Music – Do you play an instrument? The library has a wide selection of music scores and sheet music you can check out. Learn to perform contemporary and classic music with friends and family!
BONUS: Gather with family and friends this winter over board games. id you know you the library has nearly 40 different board games you can check out? For more details, contact the Fiction & Media department at email@example.com.
Learn more about our checkout policies: https://www.northbrook.info/visit/use/lcheckout-policies