Museum Adventure Pass
Please Note: We receive multiple requests for the limited number of Museum Adventure passes available. Requesting a pass does not guarantee you will receive a pass.
The Museum Adventure Pass is a physical single-use pass that you can check out with your Northbrook Library card to use at select museums and attractions, including the Brookfield Zoo, Cantigny Park, the Illinois Holocaust Museum, and the Naper Settlement. Please check the individual institutions for availability and current hours before you arrive. There are a limited number of passes for each participating attraction. Checkouts are limited to one pass per household per loan period (the loan period is 7 days and will expire after the date printed on the pass). Terms vary by venue.
How do I get a pass?
If you see a pass you're interested in, request a it at a library service desk or submit an online pass request. If you fill out an online request, a library staff member will email you to let you know if the pass is available and how you can pick it up. (Passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis, whether requested in person or online. Requesting a pass does not guarantee you will receive a pass.)
Important details about the Museum Adventure Pass
- Requests for a pass can only be fulfilled on days the library is open and staff is available to process the request.
- There are a limited number of passes available to the library. Requesting a pass does not guarantee you will receive a pass.
- When you redeem your pass at an attraction, you may be required to show a photo ID and your Northbrook Library card
- The pass is single-use.
- You must have a valid Northbrook Public Library Card.
- Checkouts are limited to one pass per household per loan period.
- The loan period is 7 days (you can request a new pass on the 8th day).
- Terms vary by venue, please make sure to check with the museum about open hours, reservation requirements, and Museum Adventure Pass eligibility.
- The Chicago Botanic Garden pass allows general admission during regular public hours for a family of 4 (the group must include at least one child under age 18 and a maximum of 2 adults).
Explore More Illinois
Explore More Illinois provides Northbrook Library cardholders instant online access to free and discounted tickets to museums, science centers, sporting events, zoos, park districts, theatres, and other fun and local cultural venues across the state. The discounts and offers are always available, and unlike the Museum Adventure Pass, you don't need to check out a physical pass—just use your library card number and password to print or instantly download a pass to your mobile device. Watch a video to learn more about Explore More Illinois.
How do the Explore More passes work and how do I get one?
Each library cardholder ages 18 and older can make up to three active reservations. Get started at Explore More Illinois by entering your library card number. You can browse for passes and available offers for the upcoming three months. You can also search for offers by date, attraction name, or location.
See the list of current attractions. More attractions continue to be added to this program, so check back often.
How do I make a reservation?
To use an Explore More Illinois offer, you need to make a reservation for a specific date. Use the calendar to select the date then choose the Reserve option under the attraction. A confirmation box will appear and a confirmation email will be sent. You will also get a reminder email three days before your reservation. It is recommended to print or download your pass shortly before your visit. Once you print or download your pass, you cannot cancel your reservation—it will remain active until after the date on the pass.
What do I need to bring to the attraction on the day of the reservation?
Bring a photo ID and either a smartphone with the pass available on the phone or a printed copy of the pass. Some attractions require a printed copy, which will be indicated when you make the reservation.
Can I use Explore More Illinois or the Museum Adventure Pass to get free or discounted admission to major Chicago attractions?
No, many Chicago museums, including the Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and the Field Museum are not included in the programs. However, many of these Chicago museums offer free admission days.