Visiting the Library
We welcome you back to browse and check out materials, pick up holds, and use a computer, study room, and the Collaboratory by appointment. You can also use our Internet station on the 2nd floor for quick printing and look-ups (15-minute time limit; no appointment needed).
When you enter, you'll notice that the lobby is currently being renovated and our Circulation Department is not currently accessible. To check out materials, please bring your library card or download our new library app. You will be able to check out your materials using one of our new self-check machines, located on each floor of the library. See how easy it is to quickly check out multiple items. You can also check out materials on your phone using our new library app's "Self-Checkout option."
To help maintain physical distancing, we are only allowing 100 patrons to be in the building at a time, and limiting visits to one hour or less. If we are at capacity, there may be a wait to enter. Everyone ages 2 and up must wear a mask while in the building. If you are unable to wear one due to a medical condition, we can provide remote services, including curbside pickup and homebound delivery.
Please read the other safety measures you will be expected to follow while in the building.
Please note that these hours are subject to change as we respond to the pandemic. See our scheduled closures.
- Monday-Thursday: 11:00am-7:00pm
- Friday & Saturday: 9:00am-2:00pm
- Sunday: 1:00-5:00pm
Phone & Email Service
- Monday-Thursday: 9:00am-7:00pm
- Friday: 9:00-5:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00-2:00pm
- Sunday: 1:00-5:00pm
- Tuesday-Thursday: 10am-6pm
- Friday & Saturday: 10am-2pm
The Peltz DIgitization Room is open by appointments only to Northbrook card holders. Schedule an appointment.
Study Room Appointments
You can reserve a study room (one person per room/one 2-hour reservation per day) with a Northbrook library card. Reservations can be scheduled up to a week in advance online. To make a same-day reservation, or if you have any questions, call 847-272-4873 or email the Reference Department.
You can reserve a computer for up to 60 minutes (no library card required). Call 847-272-4873 or email firstname.lastname@example.org during our open hours to schedule an appointment.
Note: You can also use our Internet station on the 2nd floor for quick printing and look-ups (15-minute time limit; no appointment needed).
You can return library materials in our outdoor bookdrops, which are open 24 hours a day/7 days a week, or in the lobby during our open hours. Learn more about returns.
Our Homebound Service offers delivery of library materials to any Northbrook resident with a valid Northbrook Public Library card who is confined to their residence.
Printing Services & 3D Printing Services
- You can visit during our open hours to use our print/copy/fax machine or request a print through Curbside Pickup:
- Send us your file and when it's ready, we'll let you know how to pick it up. Please allow 24 hours for us to complete your print.
- Send us a file to print on the 3D printer:
- Email us a file to 3D print and when it's ready, we'll let you know how to pick it up via Curbside Pickup
Online Resources (eBooks, Movies, etc.)
Access eBooks, movies, and more with your library card.
We offer a wide array of virtual programs for all ages each month.
What you can do in the library
- Browse and check out materials in all areas of the library, other than newspapers and the non-circulating collection
- Use the Collaboratory by appointment.* Schedule an appointment
- Get a new library card or renew an existing card in the Café area on the 1st floor.
- Use the self-checkout machines or use our new library app to check out materials
- Use our Internet station on the 2nd floor for quick printing and look-ups (15-minute time limit; no appointment needed)
- Use a study room for 2 hours by appointment (one person per room/one reservation per day). Reserve a study room online, or call 847-272-4873 or email email@example.com during our open hours*
- Use a computer for 60 minutes by appointment. Call 847-272-4873 or email firstname.lastname@example.org during our open hours to schedule an appointment*
- Use the Peltz Digitization Room for 3-hour appointments.* Schedule an appointment.
- Pick up holds from Curbside Pickup (you can enter from the parking lot or lobby during open hours)
- Pick up tax forms in the Reference department
- Access the bathrooms
* A Northbrook Library card is required
What you cannot do in the library
- Cannot use a study room or the Collaboratory without an appointment. However, if a study room is available, you may be able to make a same-day appointment with your Northbrook library card.
- Cannot browse newspapers, and our non-circulating collection
- Cannot reserve or access meeting rooms, classrooms, or the Auditorium
- Cannot access the Friends Bookshop
- Cannot donate any books or other library materials
Services you can access without having to enter the building
If possible, we encourage you to use our services that do not require you to enter the building:
- Use curbside pickup to get library materials (curbside pickup is indoors but can be accessed via the parking lot). If you do not want to enter the building, please call 847-272-2147
- Return materials in our drive-up book drop on the west side of the building (open 24/7)
- Request homebound delivery
- Contact us by phone at 847-272-6224. If you don’t reach us, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible. You can also email us at email@example.com
- Email a file to print on our 3D printer
- Access eResources and eBooks
Our safety precautions and procedures
Patron and staff safety is our first priority, and we are taking many precautions to keep you safe in the library.
As we reopen, we will continue to:
- Quarantine all returned items before they are checked out
- Disinfect commonly touched items, clean workspace surfaces, and wipe down all high touch surfaces regularly
- Provide hand sanitizer at key areas throughout the building
In addition, in preparation for our reopening, we have:
- Trained staff on strict safety protocols and use of PPE
- Installed plexiglass barriers at all service desks
- Added floor decals for physical distancing
Help us keep staff and others safe in the library
To remain open, we need to be able to maintain a safe environment for staff and other patrons, and we are counting on your help with this.
Do not enter the library if you are experiencing any of the symptoms of COVID-19
If you have questions about possible symptoms, please review the symptoms on the CDC website.
Wear a mask in the building
Everyone, including children 2 years and up, is required to a mask that covers your nose and mouth while in the building, including in the bathroom and in study rooms. If you do not have a mask with you, we will provide one. If a medical condition prevents you from wearing one, we can provide services to you through curbside pickup or homebound delivery. If you need additional accommodations, please contact Administration at 847-272-6224 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maintain 6-feet of physical distance between others at all times
Please be aware of others when you are in the building. To help with physical distancing, we are limiting the number of patrons in the building to a maximum of 100. We will have floor markings to help you maintain distance.
Keep your visit short
We ask that you limit your time at the library to an hour or less.
Do not eat or drink in the library
For patron and staff safety, we will not allow food or beverages in the building.
Pay attention to posted signs
We have added signs to help remind you of our safety procedures, and decals on the floor to help with proper social distancing.
Other ways to engage with the library
Although we are also eager to return to our pre-COVID-19 services, we will continue to adapt and add services when possible to meet your needs. In the meantime, we encourage you to engage with the library by using eBooks, eResources, virtual programs, curbside pickup, and homebound delivery.