Safety Measures & Mask Policy
- Masks are required for visitors ages 2 and up regardless of vaccination status. Masks are also required at outdoor library programs.
- If you do not have a mask, one will be provided.
- We currently allow up to 350 visitors at a time.
- Read our COVID-19 Library Action Plan.
Visiting the Library
The library is open 7 days a week. See our scheduled closures.
Visit to browse and check out materials, read a newspaper, use a computer, pick up holds, work at a table or study room, visit the Friends' Bookshop, and more. Learn more about our services below. If you have questions, call us at 847-272-6224 or email us during our open hours.
Study rooms can be reserved for up to 2 hours a day. You can also reserve a study room up to a week in advance online with a Northbrook Public LIbrary card. If a study room is available, you can make a walk-up reservation at the Reference desk. If you have any questions, call 847-272-4873 or email the Reference Department. Note: Visitors can remove their masks in the study room.
You can reserve the Civic Room online with a Northbrook Library card. Meeting rooms can be reserved up to two months in advance.
Computers are available on the 2nd floor on a walk-in basis for 60 minutes with two 30-minute extensions if no one is waiting. (No library card required.) You can also reserve a computer up to one week in advance. Call 847-272-4873 or email firstname.lastname@example.org during our open hours to schedule an appointment.
Checking Out & Returning Materials
To check out materials, please bring your library card or download our new library app. You can check out your materials using one of our new self-checkout machines located on each floor of the library. See how easy it is to quickly check out multiple items. You can also check out materials on your phone using our library app's Self-Checkout option. If you need assistance with checking out items, staff will be there to help.
Printing Services & 3D Printing Services
- You can visit to use our print/copy/fax machine or request a print through Curbside Pickup:
- Send us your file and when it's ready, we'll let you know how to pick it up. Please allow 24 hours for us to complete your print.
- Send us a file to print on the 3D printer:
- Email us a file to 3D print and when it's ready, we'll let you know how to pick it up.
Online Resources (eBooks, Movies, etc.)
Access eBooks, movies, and more with your library card.
We offer a wide array of virtual and in-person programs for all ages each month.
Our Homebound Service offers delivery of library materials to any Northbrook resident with a valid Northbrook Public Library card who is confined to their residence.
What you can do in the library
- Browse and check out materials in all departments
- Get a new library card or renew an existing card in the lobby
- Use a computer (no reservation necessary)
- Use the Collaboratory by appointment with a Northbrook Library card. Schedule an appointment
- Use the Peltz Digitization Room for 3-hour appointments with a Northbrook Library card. Schedule an appointment.
- Reserve the Civic Room with a Northbrook Library card
- Use Curbside Pickup to pick up holds
- Use a table on the 2nd floor, 3rd floor, or Teen Loft
- Use a study room for 2 hours a day. You can also reserve a study room online with a Northbrook Library card up to a week in advance. Walk-up reservations are allowed if a room is available.
- Visit the Friends' Bookshop Mon- Sat: 10am-4pm & Sun: 2-4pm
- Donate books for the Friends Bookshop in the bin located in the west entrance vestibule.
Other ways to engage with the library
We still provide many services that you can use without having to enter the building. If you are interested in something that you don't see on this list, please call us at 847-272-6224.
- Use curbside pickup to get library materials. If you do not want to enter the building, please call 847-272-2147
- Return materials in our drive-up book drop on the west side of the building (open 24/7)
- Request homebound delivery
- Call us at 847-272-6224 or email us at email@example.com
- Email a file to print on our 3D printer
- Access eResources and eBooks
- Attend one of our many virtual programs