Welcome to the library! We're glad you're here. Learn more about all of our services below. If you have any questions, call us at 847-272-6224 or email us during our open hours.
The library is open 7 days a week. See our scheduled closures.
- Monday - Thursday: 9:00am-9:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am-6:00pm
- Saturday: 9:00am-5:00pm
- Sunday: 1:00-5:00pm
Safety Measures & Mask Policy
All library services are currently available. Masks are recommended, but not required, in the library and in library programs. Masks are still available by request at all of our service desks.
Appointments are no longer required to use the Collaboratory on Fridays and Saturdays (see open hours), but you still need to schedule an appointment to use the Digital Media and the Digitization Room and to use the Collaboratory on weekdays.
Study rooms can be reserved for up to 2 hours a day. You can also reserve a study room up to a week in advance online with a Northbrook Public Library card. If a study room is available, you can make a walk-up reservation at the Reference desk. If you have any questions, call 847-272-4873 or email the Reference Department.
You can reserve a meeting room online with a Northbrook Library card. Meeting rooms can be reserved up to two months in advance.
Computers are available on the 2nd floor on a walk-in basis for 60 minutes with two 30-minute extensions if no one is waiting (no library card required.) You can also reserve a computer up to one week in advance. Call 847-272-4873 or email email@example.com during our open hours to schedule an appointment.
Checking Out & Returning Materials
You can use your library card or download a digital version of your library card on our library app to check out materials using one of our new self-checkout machines located on each floor of the library. See how easy it is to quickly check out multiple items. You can also check out materials on your phone using our library app's Self-Checkout option. If you need help with checking out your items, staff will be there to help.
Holds provide a quick and easy way to get library materials. You can place holds on library materials, including books, movies, videogames, Roku sticks, mobile hotspots, and more. When you are notified your hold items are ready, you can pick them up and check them out from the Holds shelves in the west lobby (across from the bookshop). Learn more.
Printing Services & 3D Printing Services
- You can visit to use our print/copy/fax machine or request a print for pickup:
- Send us your file and when it's ready, we'll let you know how to pick it up. Please allow 24 hours for us to complete your print.
- Send us a file to print on the 3D printer:
- Email us a file to 3D print and when it's ready, we'll let you know how to pick it up.
Online Resources (eBooks, Movies, etc.)
Access eBooks, movies, and more with your library card.
We offer a wide array of virtual and in-person programs for all ages and interests each month.
Home Delivery Service
Our Home Delivery Service offers delivery of library materials to Northbrook residents with a valid Northbrook Public Library card who are confined to their residence either temporarily or permanently due to age, disability, illness, or other mobility issues. Learn more about our accessibility services.
What you can do in the library
- Browse and check out materials—search our online catalog
- Get a library card or renew an existing card in the lobby
- Use a computer (no reservation necessary)
- Use our Self-Service Holds shelves to pick up and check out holds
- Use the Collaboratory
- Use the Peltz Digitization Room by appointment with a Northbrook Library card. Schedule an appointment.
- Reserve a meeting room with your Northbrook Library card
- Use a study room for 2 hours a day. You can also reserve a study room online with a Northbrook Library card up to a week in advance. (Walk-up reservations can be scheduled at the Reference desk if a room is available.)
- Use the Quiet Study Room on the 2nd floor for silent reading or study
- Visit the Friends' Bookshop to purchase used books or donate books for the Friends Bookshop in the bin at the west entrance
- Recycle common household items
Other ways to engage with the library
You can still access many library services from home. If you are interested in something that you don't see on this list, please call us at 847-272-6224.
- Use our Self-Service Holds shelves to get library materials. If you do not want to enter the building, please call 847-272-6224.
- Return materials in our drive-up book drop on the west side of the building.
- Request our Home Delivery Service. Learn more about our accessibility services.
- Call us at 847-272-6224 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email a file to print on our 3D printer.
- Access eResources and eBooks.
- Attend one of our virtual programs.